Sunday, April 18, 2010

BBC Schools Secondary

After seeing Becky's post about the BBC Schools website I wanted to take a look into it myself and specifically the secondary portion of the site that she had not reviewed. I would agree that it has some good tools. It is interesting because their curriculum obviously is not the same as the state or national curriculums that we are working with over here. Yet, overall we are working with similar content. In the secondary portion they also break down the material into ages 11-16 and 16+. I was unable to find many math games for the 16+ range which was disappointing. Yet they did have a lot of revision as they call it. These are basically reteaching tools over specfic topics and then they also give you tests to work through the material after. In the 11-16 year old levels they have revisions, activities, and tests which are probably a better idea and easier to create for the younger levels. I did notice in the games they also try to give you user age levels so it is clear for those using it which games would suit them. Overall, I was definitely pleased with what I saw.

BBC Schools

3 comments:

  1. I noticed you wrote that you couldn't find many math games for the 16+ range. Why do you suppose that is? I've noticed that as we get older we tend to participate less frequently in games for any reason and seem to just want to "cut-to-the chase." Why is that? Sure, we're older and more mature. But if games truly do help us learn, do you think we should continue them even into adulthood?

    I know this isn't exactly what you were writing about, but your post made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And for the record, who doesn't like to play games? Somewhere after Mathmuncher and Oregon Trail, the educational games disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny you mention Mathmuncher, because I thought one of their games was going to be hat, but they just had pictures that looked like that, but did not follow through with the game.

    Great question Wilson I wonder the same thing and was hoping this site would be of help with that. Not so much.

    ReplyDelete