This was a very innovative idea. As a math teacher I definitely see both sides of the situation. There is no way I think that Calculus is a subject that much of our population needs or uses. I do think there are some who simply should take the course to get through something difficult that they may not have thought they could do before doing it. It can serve as a great stepping stone for students to realize what hard work and application can accomplish in their futures. However, as far as actual math goes I would be 100% behind this idea if our country changed it tomorrow.
I teach at a small high school that does not offer any type of course in probability or statistics. The farthest most of our students go with probability is in Algebra 1 with simple probability and some work with independent and dependent events. Yet, like Arthur Robinson said this type of math is much more practical and applicable to the future of our students as a whole. I do know some larger high schools in Ohio who offer a similar course and I always thought it was a great idea, because it gives your higher level students options outside of Pre-Calculus and Calculus. For what it's worth I was not exposed to a probability and statistics course until my junior year of college, and that was because I was a math major. I also attended a big high school where it was not offered and there was only one track for high-achieving math students.
As I start thinking about this more I realize it really would be a great idea and I hope that there could be some push for it to actually happen in the near future. Looking ahead, I know that I will be teaching Calculus at our high school in 2 years after the retirment of a 35 year teacher. I am excited about this opportunity to step up and take on a challenge, but it does come with pressure because I want to do a great job. I also know that I could make things so much more practical if I taught a class that was probability and statistics and I think that even at the high levels, students need to see how it could apply to their lives. This is important when math gets challening, because they need the motivation to actually complete the work and at as high a level as they are capable of. In conclusion, I think this is a great idea and I am going to start sending this idea around at my school and to other math teachers I know around the state. If I'm lucky, maybe it will catch some steam and make it to the state level.
Arthur Robinson video at TED.com
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Should calculus be put off until college so as to be only for those students who require it as a part of their major? While I have taken both calculus and statistics, I wonder if it would not be more useful to teach a class on more "practical math." I think that many high school students (and a nice chunk of adults) would benefit from a course on financial management. This would provide students with the ability to understand the banking system, stock market, loans, budgeting, etc.
ReplyDeleteMost schools currently offer an Economics course that covers much of that, but I do agree that it would be helpful. However, I do think it's important that Calculus and other higher level courses are available for our students. Especially those that know they will need it and are able to take it as early as their junior year in high school. We would be setting these students back and also forcing them to take more courses and pay more money in college.
ReplyDeleteI currently teach 5th grade math. Obviously, the content I am teaching certainly isn't calculus, but I like your viewpoint, Shaun. I personally never did take a calculus class. I took a "watered-down" Statistics class during my Jr. year in college and a few algebra classes, but that's it. I also agree that there's something to be said about a student being challenged in a new way, meeting that challenge, conquering it, and moving on, now as a "tougher-minded" person. Sometimes the difficult stuff in life is what makes everything else so "easy." Good work.
ReplyDelete