Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Animoto

I thought the video that Dr. Heigle showed in class was interesting and I wanted to look further into this technology and its website. Looking through the website you can see that while the the technology creates the video from your footage, you are able to make your own touches on this original video. Also, if you ever want to change the video you can use their remix feature. Another nice tool for a lesson would be to add emphasis on specific parts through what is called a spotlight. That would be great for main ideas or summary points. The website also provides a variety of ways to share the video which would be helpful for absent students or students that fall behind, because they would have access to the video outside of school. I also watched one of their case study videos on "function notation". The video was created through sets of slides provided by the teacher. It did a really good job of working from basic thoughts to the big picture, and then breaking it down for students to do some of their own work. It even allowed thinking time for students and discussed why certain answers worked. Also, I thought that if I was playing in it my classroom I could find moments to pause the video to either elaborate if needed or I could give them more time for specific problems as well. Another idea I had for this technology would be for use in higher-level math classes. It could be used to show multiple answers to problems that aren't going to be solved in the time allotted for in the classroom. Or it could also be used for extra credit work towards further understanding of a topic.

Animoto

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed with your thinking and how you dig into the web sites. I look forward with see the fruits of your your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaun,
    I liked the idea of using these types of videos for math problems that may be too long or difficult to teach or solve within one math period. The idea of students being able to access this information outside the classroom is very worthwhile. I also like the idea of making things available this way for students that are absent. That is a great idea. It helps the students and teacher, but also the parents, too. Imagine a parent watching a video each day after school to see what homework has been assigned or to see how a lesson has been taught! That's kinda cool (and scary) all at the same time! Technology is crazy, eh?

    ReplyDelete