Sunday, November 7, 2010

Video-based anchored instruction

Shyu, H.C. (2000). Using video-based anchored instruction to enhance learning: Taiwan’s experience. British Journal of Educational Technology, 31(1), 57-69.

This article highlights a study of video-based anchored instruction. They review what that is and how it has helped American students. Furthermore, they use it in Taiwanese elementary schools to see if it can work across cultures. The article highlights how students have begun to struggle with problem-solving skills and have been too focused on computation. The Jasper Series was the series of videos used in this study to help build problem solving skills in math. They focus on building these through a story and forcing students to develop their way through the problem together, and be able to discuss the best route to solve the situations. Overall, students showed increased interest in the stories from the videos, which led to increased motivation to problem-solve.

I learned through this article about situated learning and anchored instruction. Situated learning is learning based on authentic practice through activity and social interaction. I liken this to being able to put my students into a situation that they can relate to. Anchored instruction was designed to help students develop skills to solve problems and think independently. Both of these will be important as I complete my Capstone study on a similar topic.

Through the results of my Capstone and reading this article I will most likely start taking a longer look at how I can use video-instruction to supplement my instruction. I think it can be a very positive thing for the 21st century learners that I see. Also, it will be important to find a way to use it effectively and not overload the students with just one style.

No comments:

Post a Comment