Choi, H. & Johnson, S. (2007). The effect of problem-based video instruction on learner satisfaction, comprehension and retention in college courses. British Journal of Educational Technology, 38(5), 885-895.
This article is a study of video-based learning among three types of instruction for college courses. The three types were problem-based video instruction(PBVI) with discussion, problem-based video instruction without group discussion, and problem-based text instruction(PBTI). Through the study it was found that were significant differences in learner satisfaction, comprehension, and delayed retention when comparing PBVI with group discussion and PBTI. All the measurements were higher for PBVI. Secondly, there was not a significant difference among learner satisfaction, comprehension, and delayed retention when comparing PBVI with discussion and without discussion. This surprised me a little. Furthermore, the study does a good review of the literature and how video is more memorable to students and that is why retention scores increased alongside the attitudes of the learners.
The author concluded that small group discussion does not have a significant difference on classes as a whole. They cite the fact that some learners perform better in discussion, while others, usually more shy students, do not perform as well. So there is a lot of give and take there when deciding when to use it and how much to use it. This surprised me, but I do understand the points the author makes about how certain students respond well and participate in discussion, while others do not.
In the future I will probably have to look at how much I am using discussion of problems and work in my classroom. Over the five years I have been teaching I have increased the use of class discussi in my classroom and I feel that it works well for my classes. However, I have noticed that it doesn't always fit every learner, and certain students who I know understand what is going on sometimes fade into the background. This is disappointing to me, but I need to find a way to engage these students outside of class discussion and mix up the methods I use in my classroom.
Monday, November 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment